On 1st February 2018, Ferryhill School were visited by UNICEF Rights Respecting Schools Award assessors. I am delighted to be able to share that Ferryhill were successfully accredited under the new UNICEF RRSA award scheme standards and they became the first school in the UK to successfully achieve Gold using the new outcome strands.
Assessors noted a number of strengths in their final report and were particularly impressed by:
- (The) polite, welcoming and confident children
- Pupils who have a deep understanding of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC). Pupils could clearly see and explain the relevance of the CRC to their daily lives
- An inclusive ethos based on a sound understanding by pupils and staff of the concepts of equity and fairness
- Staff (who) model rights respecting language and behaviours
- The recognition and celebration of wider achievement is highly valued by staff and pupils and linked to the CRC
- RRSA is embedded across the school, and all staff are fully committed and engaged with the process.
The school is a wonderful ambassador for children’s rights and works hard to promote awareness in their local community and this wonderful achievement is recognition of the hard work, commitment and passion by pupils, staff and parents. Well done Ferryhill School!
Photo gallery here.