25th & 26th March 2019 – Introduction to Microscope Maintenance and Use – 09:00 -16:00 at NESCOL
2 day course will include;
- Introduction to using microscopes – parts of a microscope and their function.
- Handling, mounting and care of prepared slides
- Viewing prepared slides – focussing, locating sample, magnifications and fault finding
- Inserting and calibrating an eye piece graticule.
- Preparation and viewing of plant, animal and microbial slides using simple, appropriate staining including oil immersion techniques
- Dismantling microscopes
- Cleaning the optical components
- Cleaning & lubricating coarse focus mechanism
- Re-assembly and adjustment of mechanical parts
- Replacement of bulbs and fuses
- Testing the microscope after servicing
By the end of this unit the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding related to the routine maintenance and proper use of school microscopes.
- Identify and use the correct procedures to prepare microscope slides in carrying out simple biological investigations.