Please see some exciting news from Aberdeen City’s Library and Information Service.
Scottish Children’s Book Awards
The shortlist for the Scottish Children’s Book Awards will be released at the end of August and Aberdeen City Libraries will again be supporting the Awards. Each library will have copies of the titles shortlisted in each category and will have a ballot box to enable children and families to vote for the book they think should win.
Aberdeen City Libraries is delighted to announce that it will hold three large scale events at the Beach Ballroom during November 2015 for schools, featuring the authors shortlisted for the Scottish Children’s Book Awards. The events will be held in the morning.
3-7 category event – Wednesday 25 November
8-11 category event – Tuesday 17 November
12-16 category event – Tuesday 10 November
Further information, including Invitations to schools will be sent out at the beginning of September.
Bookbug Primary 1 Family Bags & the Scottish Children’s Book Awards
In association with the Scottish Book Trust, Aberdeen City Libraries is providing a CPD to support the gifting and promotion of the free Bookbug Primary 1 bag given to every child in Primary 1. The session takes place on Monday 14 September 2015 from 4.30-6pm in Room 5, Frederick Street and is open to all staff working with children in Primary 1 who will gift the Bookbug primary 1 Family bag.
The session will cover:
· Fun and practical gifting ideas and why these are important
· Information about 6 key literacy skills that lay the foundations of reading and how to help children acquire these skills from a variety of picture books
· Practical ideas to involve parents in pack gifting events to strengthen home/school links
· Joined up approaches between schools and libraries
· Participating in the Scottish Children’s Book Awards ,Book Week Scotland and maximising the opportunities these initiatives offer to promote literacy
For further information and to book a place http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bookbug-primary-1-family-bags-the-scottish-childrens-book-awards-registration-17439011553